Saturday, April 14, 2007

Travel basics

Today I returned the suitcase I bought a few weeks ago. It was a 25" expandable suitcase. When I bought it I wasn't sure what size it was, but I got it because it's bigger than my current carry on. I was originally standing in line with a 28" suitcase when a sympathetic woman said "you know you're going to have to automatically pay more for that size, right?" So I swapped for the "smaller" size. Unfortunately, I can't carry that one on either. I have a fear of checking luggage. I've only done so ONCE, and it scared me to death (fear of loss, theft, accidental theft)

So my plan is to find a 21" expandable roll aboard that I can carry on for the outbound trip and expand and check on the returning trip. I'm also planning to buy an expandable tote bag that I will pack flat for the journey and expand upon coming back to the States. That will be my carry on for the return trip. Even though I don't foresee bringing back a lot of stuff, I do want to buy souvenirs for family and friends. And I'll probably collect stuff during the trip. So the duffel bag will be for that. I'm a little skeptical that I can only get away with a 21" suitcase full of clothes for the trip, but I've been urged to not bring more than one suitcase by travel savvy internet people. We'll see though. I'd rather be unhappy lugging my bags around for a few hours going and coming than unhappy for a few months because I left a lot of things at home. . .

No comments: