Sunday, April 22, 2007

Desperately seeking hotel

I am in the process of booking a hotel in Paris. I'm going to spend a few days in my favorite city before heading to my destination for 2 months. I love that Paris has so many hotels that fit every budget. The problem is finding the best one for your budget. Last time I stayed in Paris, I syated at Grand Hotel de Paris in the 10th. It was fine since I didn't spend much time there anyway. Maybe it was just a little too dark and there were limited tv options. It was an experience to see what a Paris hotel is like: tiny lifts, interesting decor, oddly shaped rooms. But that's what makes Paris hotels charming, I guess.



This time I'd like to be a little more aggressive in my search. Last time, I booked through www.venere.com and would like to use them again. So what I'm doing is searching on Venere and cross referencing with www.tripadvisor.com to get hotel reviews and photos taken by the people who stayed there (not the glammed up photos the hotel displays).

Look, I'm a pretty simple girl--I just need a bed and a CLEAN space. I don't care so much about the view or the decor. I also need to be in a more central location. I did a lot of walking last time I was in Paris (barely used the metro at all) and I'd like to follow suit this time. Since it will be warmer when I'm there this time compared to last time, I'd like to spend more time being out and about, sitting in sidewalk cafes and people watching. And hopefully meeting some locals.

What else do I need? A/C, wireless internet (to instantly upload photos and update this blog and e-mail family and friends) and I think that's it. If anyone has reviews, give me the 411. I tend to be very indecisive, but I'd like to pick something and just go with it. I also need to work on my Paris itinerary. I don't intend to waste a moment in Paris.

No comments: