Thursday, October 25, 2007

The French Job Market?

I applied for an paid* internship in Paris.

I got an e-mail back and subsequently had a phone interview.

Was asked in I would be in Paris any time soon for a face to face interview.

Was told to re-contact interviewer in a month to arrange webcam interview.

Faithfully contacted interviewer by e-mail in a month to arrange webcam interview.

Still no word from said interviewer. Is this a normal job search in France? If they're not interested anymore, hopefully they'll contact me and say we've filled the p osition.

Trying to keep hope alive.


*even though the internship is "paid" I have no idea mow much or if it would even be enough to live on. I could probably teach on the side or babysit, but (if you've read this blog) you know that I am OCD when it comes to having stuff planned out perfectly.

3 comments:

Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

Oooh my fingers are crossed for you!

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Good luck... There are TONS of side jobs you can do in Paris.. there are TONS of babysitting jobs of French parents who want Anglophone babysitters/nannies... You can search of Craigslist Paris.. and also when you get to Paris.. try the FUSAC magazine (Anglo publication)... Good luck.. Feel free to email me.. I can give you some pointers... Take care and Happy New Year... Leesa

Anonymous said...

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Paris. Stumbled on your blog a little late. I like it, it's quite funny (first blog I ever read actually).

Anyhow, I've been working in Paris for about 9 months now. Unfortunately, my field is different (Information Technology Consulting) so I can't give you pointers or references.

What I do know is that there is TONS of demand for English teachers. I know some people with very basic English that got them, so an American won't have a problem.

Plus, they usually pay around 20-25 euros per hour, which is pretty good I think.

The only thing then is your 'legal' status in France. You're gonna have to come here as a tourist and find one of these jobs while you're here. I don't think there's any other way you can do it.