Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Le French Diet

One of the things I'm most looking forward to in France is (bien sure) the food. But not because I want to overindulge or anything (I don't even like rich, traditional french food) but because I can't wait to have a higher quality of food to choose from. This morning, I got sucked into watching an infomercial fot Kevin Trudeau (who I think is a scam artist BTW) but he got me thinking. I've KNOWN that the food industry in the US is crack. What else could explain why I have a headache if I miss my daily dose of sweets? (a habit I'm weaning myself off, thank God!) What else could explain why I get mini-addictions to certain foods for a certain period of time?

When I went to Paris last year, I was amazed how my appetite was almost non-existent. I don't know if it's because I was so focused on sight seeing or what, because I simply *forgot* about eating. It was more of an afterthought--oh yeah, I guess I should eat today. I'm much more aware of my appetite normally. And considering the amount of walking we did daily, I'm surprised I wasn't ravenous.

I look forward to buying fresh fruit and vegetables at the markets and eating baguette and a little butter. I'm so looking forward to the yogurt as well. (Mamie Nova!) Although I won't be actively dieting per se, I think it will be interesting to see if my weight changes by the time I return to the US (which I suspect it will).

There are quite a few nutrition books about the French diet and French eating style. It will definitely be interesting to track how my own eating changes while in France.

No comments: