Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mi dispiace, non parlo italiano.

I'm very fascinated by other languages and I wish it was something I had time to work on. I feel like an underachiever because I *only* speak English. How I wish I was fluent in French and had a working knowledge of a third language.

A lot of my interest in languages comes from my interest in traveling as well as other hobbies. I think if you go to a strange country, you should try and learn a few phrases. Saying hello, please, thank you and do you speak english in another person's language may make him or her more apt to help you.

Even though I don't have time to work on it now, one of my favorite language sites is BBC Languages:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages

They have an awesome French program series with videos. It's where I learned the word tartiflette hehe. The site has the essential phrases for several languages. If I manage to learn French well enough during my stay, I think I may tackle Italian next. It's a very pretty and sexy language. Can you imagine an Italian guy whispering sweet nothings in your ear? Even if he's just saying grazie or arrivaderci, itjust sounds hot. I'm also curious about German and Danish but my brain probably couldn't handle those languages. I have a fairly good ear for repeating and copying sounds so that should suffice for those languages should I ever visit German speaking countries or Denmark.

2 comments:

J said...

I love BBC's language site too!

Tartiflette is the best food ever.

I'm in the middle of writing a comparative French & Italian tutorial for my website. It might help you out if you want to learn Italian later on.

I still haven't been to Nice. :( Keep me informed on where you stayed and what you did... my PACSman and I might be going there this summer.

The Franco Fille (francophile) said...

LOL @ PACSman. I love your language site. Thanks for writing!