Monday, May 7, 2007

Another Door Opened

Well, today I received my acceptance letter from the French government:

I could potentially be teaching high school students in Lyon for 7 months! How cool is that? Lyon is the second largest city in France besides Paris and it's close to Paris and the south of France. The academie is also somewhat small so if I'm not placed in the actual city of Lyon, I will be pretty darn close. Vive Lyon!

Unfortunately, the news is bittersweet because my mother is very unsupportive of my, shall we say, international aspirations. It makes everything harder, you know? It makes me feel guilty for wanting these things for myself and for thinking outside the box.

*sigh*

But this is anything that I'm not used to. But you know what? What it comes down to is this: I'm going to do what the freak is best for ME. I don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks because people are only concerned about themselves. So maybe it's time I became un peu narcissistic, right?

The reality is, there's a chance I won't be able to do the program, not because I don't want to or because I'm scared, but because financially, it will be a burden to go. I have a car note and have one more year to go on that. Also, I'm already going to Europe this summer. Maybe I'm doing too much? Also, where will I live when I come back from Europe this summer for the month until I go back to France? THESE are my real concerns, not what my freaking family thinks. Anyway, despite the possibility of not going and the lack of enthusiasm shown by my family, I'm going to relish in the idea that I could be living in Europe for (almost) a full year (counting my two months this summer).

3 comments:

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Bienvenue en France, when you get here... I think it would be totally FANTASTIQUE if you could teach here... I would aim for it, if I were you.. I have been living here for about 8 months and LOVE it ... I am sure you would, too... Keep us posted!!--- Leesa

The Franco Fille (francophile) said...

Thanks for writing! We'll see what happens.

Anonymous said...

It's a good opportunity it would be a shame to pass up. You would probably be fluent by the time you came back. And keep in mind if you reject the position you won't be able to apply the following year.