Monday, June 22, 2009

French cooking: Quiche Lorraine

The quiche was a success! A couple issues: I didn’t have any salt (I recently moved and salt is one of those items I didn’t remember to buy) so I think a pinch of salt would help with the flavor. I left out the onion because the yellow onions at the store didn’t look right. Some recipes called for onion and others didn’t so I figured I was safe.

Crumbled bacon. I used 8 slices of turkey bacon.




Place bacon in bottom of prepared pie shell (I used frozen).



Mixing the 3 eggs, 1.5 c of half and half and shredded swiss cheese (gruyere and swiss mix)




Everything in the pan ready to go!



Oops! The filling spilled out as soon as I moved it. May be I will only use 1c of half and half next time. . .



All done! I was SO scared to eat it. . .



I had about 2 slices (bad girl, I know).



And the rest is going in the freezer! I am NOT gonna sit around and eat this by myself. It’s too rich. But I will say it was VERY filling. You really only need one small slice of this with a nice salad.



Not bad! I’m on my way! I’m thinking I want to try tartiflette or cassoulet next. Or perhaps mousse au chocolat! I’d love to hear any suggestions. I need fairly simple dishes since I’m a novice cook.

5 comments:

JM said...

looks delicious!

MilkJam said...

in my quiche i never precook anything, i simply slice up the bacon raw and it cookes in the quiche.
i sprinkle the bacon and cheese in the bottom of a preprepared pie shell. in a separate bowl i beat 5 eggs and about 1 cup of milk with a pinch of salt and pepper.
pour the egg mixture over the bacon/cheese and bake.
it's not nearly as rich as half and half (which in my book is a good thing)
give it a try and let me know how it comes out.

Dani said...

I realize that this has nothing to do with the post but who is the second person under the "style trinity"? Thanks.

EPC said...

looks yummy! I too love all things french and love looking through your blog, mine is http://mstylepicturebook.blogspot.com/ would be great if you get chance to pop by sometime x

Katherine said...

Mmm I love quiche...this looks delicious (anything with bacon I am game for!)