Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Paris je t'aime. . .encore

I just watched the film Paris Je T'aime for the second time. I saw it in the theatre when it was released in the States (maybe in 2006?) and I loved it. I realized that I forgot some of the vignettes. Or, I had completely invented continuations of the stories that weren't in the film. Par example, in my version, Maggie Gyllenhaal's character reunites with her dealer. Or the Arab girl and the French teenager share a kiss. Um, none of that ever happened but somehow, my mind completed the stories.

If I had to pick one vignette that speaks to me the most, it would be the woman who ventures to Paris alone (14e arrondissement). I feel her "joy and sadness" when the beauty of Paris hits her and she realizes she's there and she's alive. She may not have her dream man, but in that moment, none of that matters. I have surely been in Paris and had several eye-watering moments like that. I've been there. I've composed poetry on the inside cover of my Rick Steve's Paris guide because I couldn't contain my emotion. I sat at an outside table at Deux Magots and donned my dark glasses so people couldn't see the excitement on my face. It sounds so melodramatic and silly, but where Paris is concerned, I simply lose it. Paris is like the perfect lover that I never had. I know that anytime I go there, that familiar feeling of comfort and bliss will take hold.

I've noticed so many new francophile blogs in the blogosphere and it's so amazing to me: I'm not the only weirdo out there who feels so passionately about Paris. It definitely gives me a feeling of solidarity.

5 comments:

The Late Bloomer said...

Your passion for Paris will most certainly bring you back very soon! I had that feeing when I was a student here in the '90s, and looking back I don't even think I took advantage of the city as much as I should have. And now that I live here, I KNOW I don't take advantage of all the wonderful things to see and do! But somehow, life and everyday obligations get away from you... And you look back on things with nostalgia -- I hope I will always keep my own wonderful memories of this place, especially if I ever have to leave!

Bonne chance in your work to make your dream happen of living in France!

B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Towards Paris said...

You are definitely not weird for loving France. Quite the contrary! I too loved "Paris, Je t'aime." On my other blog, I posted about that very same vignette and how powerful it is to me. It so reiterates that I do not want to live what I call a "half-life," fully aware of my passion for France but dipping only a apart of myself into that passion and denying myself the full experience. If you're interested in reading that post, here's the link:

http://accordingtobreal.blogspot.com/2008/01/dream-not-fully-pursued.html

I hope that you'll continue to connect with other Francophiles. For me that has been so huge, to have some kind of network of people who get that passion and to share that passion.

Paris really does evoke that absolute excitement within us. I love the line you include, "Paris is like the perfect lover that I never had. I know that anytime I go there, the familiar feeling of comfort and bliss will take hold." Beautifully said!!

The Franco Fille (francophile) said...

Thank you both for your comments! I look forward to reading both of your blogs.

La Belette Rouge said...

Franco Fille: I was just about to recommend The World According to B's post on this beautiful film when I got to comments and saw that B beat me to it.

And, no, you are not the only weirdo. There are lots of us. So happy you found us and that we found you.:-)