Saturday, June 30, 2007

Amazing

Paris has been amazing. First, lemme comment on my previous post.

I said I was almost homeless in Paris. There was a mixup with my credit card and my reservation and even though I called the hotel twice and e-mailed once since making my reservation in MAY and despite being given a key to a room when I arrived after paying, I was called approximately one hour after settling into my room. I was mistakenly placed in a triple and my reservation for a single had been cancelled. Imagine my horror as I faced the prospect of being homeless in Paris. I frankly couldn't afford the rate for the triple and definitely didn't need the space nor the balcony nor the view. . .OK, I digress. Anyway, the following morning, I spoke with the manager and assured him that I called on several occasions including the DAY I arrived in Paris to say I was on my way (since my flight was so delayed). If my reservation WAS cancelled, why didn't they see this before I got there and before I was given a key to my room. Hmmm?? I don't know. Anyway, I was moved to a single so crisis averted. The hotel (Excelsior in the Opera district) is quite nice for the price, but I've gotten so many suggestions for hotels closer to the center that next time, I will definitely stay no farther than the 1st-5th. I realize that since I'm traveling alone, part of the reason I'm afraid to go out by myself at night is because I will have to make my way back to the 9th which isn't that far away, but hey, I'm a woman alone at night. I have to think about these things.

So, today was spent walking like all day. I got up and decided to take the train to the Eiffel Tower and then took some photos of the Eiffel Tower and Champs du Mars. Asked a hot gendarmerie officer a question and looked into some amazing blue eyes.

Then I walked to the Seine and hopped on the RER C to Musee D'orsay. Spent about 2 hours there, then walked to rue St. Germain de Pres. Even though I haven't seen all the Paris neighborhoods, I really like St. Germain. It's so chic and cute. I could definitely see my self living there. I gathered up my courage to sit at Les Deux Magots. I say that because I would never go to a restaurant alone in the US because I feel silly eating alone. However, I wanted to be able to say that I people watched from a sidewalk cafe in Paris. So, I ordered a cafe creme and go about 3 cups out of it, so I could take my time. There was an English couple next to me, and the gentleman was quite entertaining. After about 30 or 40 minutes there, I walked around the neighborhood and browsed in the shops (Soldes are going on). I didn't buy anything but I enjoyed walking around. I decided to go to Sacre Coeur and hopped on the metro to Abesses. Then hiked up MANY stairs to the Sacre Coeur. I wasn't expecting that. How do the people who live up there make that hike every day? LOL, I remember a time when I used to be fit, though, so I guess that's how. I didn't hang around SC too long. I ended up walking from SC back to my hotel after a few detours. By the time I came home, my feet felt like lifeless stumps.

I'm pretty sure I'm going out tonight. I have to be able to say I enjoyed a bit of Paris nightlife. Will report back later. . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - you definitely did a lot in 1 day! I'm exhausted just reading what you did ;-)

The Franco Fille (francophile) said...

I am crazy, lol. There's just too much to see to not walk. Next time, fashion or no fashion, I'm wearing SNEAKERS if I'm walking. Or I'm going to seriously investigate the most comfortable fashionable shoes that will get me around. I could walk FOREVER. . .WITH the proper shoes lol.