Thursday, January 11, 2007

Living for the future vs. living in the moment

I have an inability to focus on the present. I think it's a fault. Some peple would call me a planner or even better, a dreamer. But I think it's sorta excessive. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that you bring into your life the things you plan for and meditate on. (sorry to get new-agey) But, when what you want doesn't seem to be close, it makes you question if it will ever happen.

For instance, my wanting to get to France won't bring that goal into fruition until I get an opportunity to go. Like, I can't just pick up and fly to France tomorrow with no job and no official reason to go. Another one of my dreams is to live in Manhattan and live out my "Breakfast at Tiffany's fantasy." Again, not likely to happen tomorrow.

Something that I need to work on is being content with where I am. Even though I have all these goals and all these dreams, being frustrated with my current situation constantly isn't going to help me. In fact, that negative energy is pulling me down. I need to start thinking of how I can be better once I achieve my goals. It'd be nice to be thinner in France. I can work on that. Speaking French more fluently would be nice too. I can work on being more consistent with my French podcasts. I can try to read more to beef up my brain. I can try to paint and draw more to use my creative energy. I can try to love more to attract love to me. I can be more active and eat better to treat my body well.

I realize, that the present doesn't have to be as stale as it feels. There's a lot of "little" things I can do that will only enhance my future. Whining won't help. Looking wistfully at my Paris pics won't help. Being grateful for what I have right now? That might make the difference.

3 comments:

B said...

I share so many of your ambitions and feelings, so this post really struck a meaningful chord with me. I too love France and New York City and have dreamed endlessly about a life in both places. I've been fortunate enough to see both...but had to make considerable sacrifices to do so, especially Paris. I didn't necessarily wait for the right time or enough money...because really, when is it ever "right," or ever "enough?" However, I have no regrets for those sacrifices made, as those experiences have forever shaped me as a person.

With that said, I too believe that unless we are content in the here and now, those things we project our happiness upon (Paris, NYC, new shoes, etc.) will ultimately leave us feeling empty. I've often thought about how to really achieve such contentment and for me, instead of obsessing about what I want to accomplish, what I need to accomplish, what I am failing at...I think about the simplest things that make me happy and leave me truly fulfilled. For me, that consists of: reading, blogging, taking walks, learning French. And when I really devote ample time to those things, it seems that the other needs/wants fall into their appropriate place. And I don't dwell on my failures.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want to oversimplify this struggle. It gets the best of me too. There's nothing wrong with looking longingly at your Paris pics. But you are right...try to put those things in a perspective relative to appreciating where you are now and what you do have...advice that I need to constantly remind myself to live by! :)

Best wishes with your endeavors.

The Franco Fille (francophile) said...

Thanks B for the comment. It's glad to know I'm not the only one out there with "wild dreams" as my friends and family would say. It's hard when you don't have support but it's important to be true to you and follow your own star.

B said...

Yes, it is difficult. Not everyone is a dreamer. So many people are rather practical and I think our society really does seem to favor the notion of a life lived practically. My family is comprised of mostly practical members, so I've always felt "wrong" about my lofty goals and ideas. I've always wondered why I can't "settle down" and live a "normal" existence.

But there is nothing wrong with us at all. We're just different and yes, I think finding like-minded people really is comforting and inspiring.

Again, best wishes with everything!